Valley County Pioneer Museum
Historical treasures at the Valley County Pioneer Museum include an ornate Buffalo Bill Cody Bar (still sporting a bullet hole and lead slug from the Wild West) and a buffalo mount that was butchered for a celebration honoring President Roosevelt’s visit in 1934. The museum contains an impressive collection of Native American artifacts, with an authentic teepee as its centerpiece.
When the Glasgow Air Force Base was decommissioned in 1968, the on-base housing was purchased and offered for
sale to private individuals. The community—now known as St. Marie—
is a strange juxtaposition of suburban neighborhoods and blocks upon blocks of abandoned and decaying buildings. It is like something from a horror movie set—truly, a surreal sight to behold.
Fort Peck Dam
The story of Fork Peck is one of unfathomable numbers. At a time when the nation was clawing its way out of economic depression, President Franklin D. Roosevelt authorized one hundred million dollars for the construction of a massive earth-fill dam in Montana. It was to be four miles long, holding back nineteen million acre feet of water, with more than 125 million cubic yards of fill used. At one-fifth completion, it was already the largest dam in history.
Fort Peck Theatre
Built in 1934, Fort Peck Theatre was intended to be temporary, serving as a 24-hour movie house until the dam’s completion. As the building began to fall into disrepair, the Fort Peck Fine Arts Council was formed to save, restore, and refocus its use. They began renting it as a live performing playhouse in 1970, and in 1987, they bought it outright.
Fort Peck Interpretive Center
In the lobby of the Fort Peck Interpretive Center, you are met with a life-sized, fleshed- out model of a Tyrannosaurus. This replica is based on the “Peck’s Rex,” discovered only twenty miles away. It is the second most complete Tyrannosaurus skeleton ever to be found. Other prehistoric beasts can be found at the interpretive center, along with an impressive collection of wildlife taxidermy, dam construction displays, and modern-day aquatic life.
Wolf Point Museum
This museum features displays of antiques, heirlooms, and artifacts of the early-day settlers, along with exhibits on Native American culture. A life-size statue of cowboy artist Charlie Russell made by a Wolf Point High School art instructor, Archie Graber, for a contest in Washington, D.C. resides in the museum.
Wolf Point Bridge
In 1930, a five-span Pennsylvania through truss was completed at Wolf Point—1,150 tons of steel and 1,074 feet long with a 400- foot span (the longest through truss span in the state). Dubbed the “Lewis & Clark Bridge,” this engineering marvel spanned Roosevelt and McCone Counties, linking them via Highway 13. It was so impressive that its opening ceremony drew over 10,000 visitors. Though the bridge is no longer accessible to the public today, it is preserved by the Wolf Point Historical Society as an interpretive site for historical events such as the Lewis & Clark Expedition.